Miscellaneous Consular Services
Various Services and Fees:
For every service, there is additional $3.00 fee towards Indian Community Welfare Fund.
1. Registration of Birth: US$21+3 (for Indian Community Welfare Fund)
2. NOC for Carrying Mortal Remains to India and Registration of Death: For Indian citizens US$1; For US citizens US$60 (For body) / US$40 (For ashes)
3. Birth Certificate / Non-availability of Birth Certificate: US$25+3
4. Marriage Certificate: US$25+3
5. Life Certificate: For pensioners US$3 (only Indian Community Welfare Fund); For others US$25+3
6. Nationality Certificate: US$25+3
7. NRI Certificate: US$25+3
8. Police Clearance Certificate: For Indian passports issued in NY US$25+3; For all others US$40+3
9. No Obligation to Return to India (NORI) [Waiver] Certificate: US$60+3 for the first stage i.e. attestation + US$25 for the last stage i.e. issue of certificate
10. Attestation of Documents (Copy of Document issued by Indian Authorities like Passport, Birth/Marriage/Educational Documents etc., PAN Form, Bank Statement, Copy of Document issued by US Authorities like US Passport, Driving License, Educational Documents etc.): US$10 per attestation +3
11. Attestation of Power of Attorney/ Affidavits relating to property or financial matters: US$20 per attestation +3
12. Attestation of Will: US$20 per attestation +3
13. Attestation of Affidavit for Child’s Passport to be issued in India: US$10+3
How to Apply:
- Download the Miscellaneous Application Form and complete it
- Attach the following documents
• Current passport in original and photocopies of its first and last pages
• Proof of current US residence address: (copy of any one of -US Driving License / Gas, Electricity, Water or landline telephone bill or Bank statement displaying applicant’s address / House Lease Agreement / State Identification Card)
(Please carry originals of all the supporting documents which you have enclosed with the application. If applying by mail, photocopies of all the supporting documents should be notarized. Do not send any original documents except the PASSPORT. The passport should be sent in original.)
- Additional requirements: In addition to the above requirements additional requirements for respective misc. services are mentioned below.
- Then along with the fees approach in person at the Consulate General of India, Consular Wing, 3 East, 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 between 09.15 am and 11.30 am on all working days (Monday to Friday, except Consulate Holidays). The service will be rendered the same day and the delivery of attested documents will be between 12.30-01.00 pm.
- You may apply by mail addressed to Consulate General of India, Consular Wing, 3 East, 64th Street, New York, NY 10065. The necessary service fees should be sent by money order/cashier's check/certified check. In addition, for return postage, you may either send a trackable pre-paid return mailing envelope (USPS 'Express Mail') or enclose a money order/cashier’s check/ certified check for US$ 22 payable to Consulate General of India, New York. Personal cheques, debit and credit cards or other banking instruments are not accepted. The documents will be returned in 10 business days.
Registration of Birth
The registration of birth must be done at the Consulate within one year of Child's birth. It is mandatory to apply for Indian passport of the Child at the Consulate along with registration of birth.
- Current Indian passports of both parents in original and photocopies of the first and last pages
- Proof of US Visa Status of both parents: Copy of any one of – Visas on passports (H1B, H4 etc) and the copy of I-94 / Green Card / Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit) / I-797, I-140 or I-20
- Download the Birth Registration Form and complete it
- Original Birth Certificate of the child issued by the local authorities along with a photocopy
- Notarized Affidavit of both parents that they have not taken any other nationality for the child
- Notarized Affidavit (NOC) of both parents that they have no objection to the registration and obtaining passport for the child
Registration of Death and NOC for Carrying Mortal Remains to India
Following documents should be submitted in original along with their photocopies:
- Requirements for Carrying Body: Original Passport of the Deceased, Original Death Certificate issued by the local authorities, Transit Permit, Letter from Department of Health stating there is no contagious disease, Certificate from the Funeral Home about the Embalming of the body.
- Requirements for Carrying Ashes: Original Passport of the Deceased, Original Death Certificate issued by the local authorities, Cremation Certificate.
Birth Certificate or Non-availability of Birth Certificate
- Birth Certificate is issued on the basis of entries in Indian passport. Therefore it can only be issued if an Indian passport is presented in original.
- Non-availability of birth certificate can be issued to those Indian citizens who present their Indian passport in original and who were born in India before 2nd June 1969.
Name of the spouse should appear in the passport.
If applying by mail: Notarized self-sworn Affidavit by the applicant is must.
- Proof of US Visa Status: (copy of any one of - Visa on passport / Green Card / Employment Authorization Document (Work Permit)
- Letter stating the purpose of getting NRI Certificate
Police Clearance Certificate
For passports NOT issued in NY: No same day service, Applicants will be informed once the clearance is received.
No Obligation to Return to India (NORI) [Waiver] Certificate
It is issued only to J 1 visa holders. It is not applicable to practicing doctors. NORI application is a three-stage process.
The first stage is the attestation of NORI Forms. Complete the General procedure – same as indicated above for misc. services.
- Proof of US Visa Status
- Complete the NORI form (including both parts (i) bio data and (ii) affidavit) in 4 originals and notarize all 4 originals.
On receipt of attested NORI forms from the Consulate, send one original each to the following: The Regional Passport Office in India (where your passport was issued initially); The Home Department of State in India you belong to; The External Scholarship Division, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Second Floor, Wing 6, West Block-1, R K Puram, New Delhi- 110 066.
Please note that it is applicant’s responsibility to obtain clearances from the offices in India. The Consulate will not pursue this on their behalf.
On receipt of clearances from all three offices mentioned above, send copies of all the three clearances along with copies of affidavit, bio-data, passport with valid visa, fee and the print out of the Case Number given by US Immigration authorities (www.uscis.gov; www.travel.state.gov/waiver_instructions.html) to the Consulate General of India, New York.
Attestation of Documents
(Copy of Document issued by Indian Authorities like Passport, Birth/ Marriage/ Educational Documents etc., PAN Form, Bank Statement, Copy of Document issued by US Authorities like US Passport, Driving License, Educational Documents etc.)
The document to be attested has to be submitted along with a photocopy.
If applying by mail: The original document to be attested should be notarized.
For US School Transcripts: It should be attested by the County Clerk.
Attestation of Power of Attorney/ Affidavits relating to property or financial matters
- US passport holders: Before submitting at the Consulate the documents to be attested should be Apostilled at the respective State Secretary’s Office.
- Indian passport holders: If not submitting in person, the documents to be attested should beApostilled at the respective State Secretary’s Office.
Attestation of Will
It is done in person only.
US passport holders: Before submitting at the Consulate the documents to be attested should be Apostilled at the respective State Secretary’s Office.
Attestation of Affidavit for Child’s Passport to be issued in India
Additional requirements: The Affidavit in the prescribed proforma has to be submitted along with its photocopy and the passport of the parent staying abroad.
If applying by mail: The Affidavit form needs to be notarized.