Advisory to Indian Students Interested in Studying in the United States of America
In view of the recent malpractices pertaining to admission of Indian students to US Universities, the Consulate General of India, New York recommends the following to Indian students interested in higher
education in the USA.
1. Admission should be sought only at Universities/Institutions Accredited by the United States Department of Education.
Links to the Website of the Department of Education are placed below:
2. In order to understand the higher education system and gain more information about selecting a college or university in the United States, Indian students and their families are advised to avail the free service offered by the U.S. government, known as EducationUSA. For details please visit https://educationusa.state.gov/
3. The U.S.-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) through its Educational Advising Services (EAS) in New Delhi, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai provide college information and counseling services to students across India who are interested in pursuing higher education in the U.S. For more information please visit http://www.usief.org.in/
4. The complete visa process is explained on the U.S. Embassy and/or consulate websites in India. Website: https://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/visas.html
5. For more information on education advising, fraud prevention hotlines, and other resources to help students avoid becoming victims of fraud, students are encouraged to visit: https://travel.state.gov
6. It is also advised that the students after registering at the US universities register their name, address and date of arrival at the Indian Embassy/Consulate under whose jurisdiction the State of residence in the USA falls through the web portal on the respective Mission/ Consulate’s website.
7.Indian Student Associations at Universities provide a means of enabling new students to connect with their peers from India and provide assistance in the time of need. It is recommended that all students enroll with the Indian student bodies once students arrive at their respective Universities.
8. All queries may be addressed to Consul (Education), Consulate General of India, 3 East 64th Street, New York, NY 10065. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / Tel: 212-774-0663
9. Other Important Links: