Guidelines for issue of No Objection Certificate / Visa for students proceeding to India on Fulbright Scholarship residing under the Jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, New York.
a) Persons of Indian origin holding an OCI or PIO Card: OCI and PIO card holders do not have to apply for a visa. However, they have to apply for a No Objection Certificate/Project Clearance Certificate at the Consulate General of India, New York submitting the following documents :
- A request letter for issue of the No Objection Certificate/Project Clearance Certificate addressed to Deputy Consul General, Consulate General of India, 3 East 64th Street, New York, NY 10065
- Original letter from the USIEF confirming the award
- Certificate of Affiliation of the host Institute in India
- Copy of Application Proforma for approval of Research Project & Project Statement.
- Notarized copy of first and last page of the passport and OCI/PIO Card. If applicant is coming in person, a copy can be submitted once original passport and OCI/PIO card are examined and returned.
- Proof of residence such as State ID or utility bill.
- USPS prepaid envelope for return of the certificate
The applicant can either come in person on any working day between 9.00 and 11.30 AM at the Consulate to submit the application or mail it to the following address: Education Department,, Consulate General of India, 3 East 64th Street, New York, NY 10065.
b) Fulbright scholars who are US citizens but not of Indian origin and those who do not hold a PIO or OCI card :
The Fulbright- Nehru Scholarship awardees and their official dependents residing in states falling under the jurisdiction of Consulate General of India, New York, can submit their applications directly to the Consulate if applying in person.
All Visa applications sent by Post shall be submitted only through Cox and Kings Services Pvt. Ltd. 2nd Floor, 235 West
23rd Street, New York-10011.
Contact No. 646-589-0088 &
Please note Postal applications shall not be accepted by the Consulate directly.
Applicants have to apply for a 'RESEARCH VISA' and their dependents will apply for 'ENTRY VISA'
No Visa fees shall be charged for issuance of Visas to Fulbright-Nehru Scholarship awardees and their dependents."
Applicants should also refer to the Fulbright to India and Fulbright-US handbooks issued by the USIEF to Fulbright scholars for additional information.